CHALLENGE 2013: This was a non happening but will be part of my next years work as I work thru the year

CHALLENGE 2012 : Each month I will choose a picture from last years challenge and create a fibre art interpretation of it or piece of it using at least one new technique each time.

CHALLENGE: 2011: 365 days in picture.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Having fun on my machine !!

I am giving a demo/talk at one of our guilds on designing your own Celtic inspired piece.  In putting all the examples together I came across this one which I has fused onto the fabric but needed stitching & quilting.  

Lesson:  Do not hold onto these examples for long, at all, and particularly in there flimsy state (the design cut out but not ironed in place).  They do stretch and distort, hence this piece is not absolutely perfect but it does give an idea of playing with a number of colours.

The whole piece

a close up.

I used a thread which for the quilting which I had bought in the UK at the Festival of Quilts - no name.  it really gave me a hard time getting the tension right - which I never did but in the long run I quite liked the effect.  I also managed to finish the top with about 2 meters left.



2 comments:

  1. This is really impressive, Phil. How big is it? I don't believe I've ever seen Celtic done with three colours before, and I like the way one of your choices for the stripping is mottled in colour. I also like the patterned background and the elaborate background quilting you have done. Very nice! Is a double needle ever used for this kind of work, or do you get better results with the single needle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is 16 inches square - not big. This technique is done by tracing the design onto fabric which has applique paper already fused onto it. Hence I have cut out three loops/designs and overlaid them so that is why I call it celtic influenced as it is not the traditional under/over with ribbon binding. I am sure you could use a double needle but I am not experienced and brave enough to try.

    ReplyDelete