CHALLENGE 2013: This was a non happening but will be part of my next years work as I work thru the year
CHALLENGE 2012 : Each month I will choose a picture from last years challenge and create a fibre art interpretation of it or piece of it using at least one new technique each time.
CHALLENGE: 2011: 365 days in picture.
Sunday, December 22, 2013
The original intention was to produce three thread painted flowers and to mount them on three artist canvases (ready bought), however, I have committed myself to producing two A3 sized quilts for an American auction next year so these may take this format.
I have gathered the thread together (and bought some more) and I think I have enough to go forward with. The top copy is a paper print out of the flower and the ones behind are the photo transferred onto cotton.
The idea is to stitch the flowers, cut out, fuse to a background, and progress. Hopefully this coming week will see some action!
Friday, December 20, 2013
..... I think I am correct in calling it a green spotted bush snake - harmless. It had definitely had a meal as you will notice some irregular shapes in its body , left and right of its head. Frogs ? Hopefully not a couple of small birds! It was not too happy as I came closer to get the pic and swayed its head from left to right.
Wednesday, December 18, 2013
They were dusted down, fluffed out and after a thorough clean of the house the tree was decorated and the angels and (dare I say!) artificial poinsettias were put out on display.
After dark the lights were switched on and the prezzies put under the tree.
Saturday, December 14, 2013
This has been interesting as I started the arduous task of removing the frog from the backing cloth.......
......... he is missing a limb to the right of the quick-un-pick. After one and a half hours my fingers were quite bruised trying to pick out the little threads. I had a quiet giggle while unpicking away as I have a fellow quilter who calls these type of projects "FROGS" ....... because you can hear them calling as you work on them ..... "ribbick!"
Plan B : The frog is a photo transfer on cotton, appliqued onto the duck canvas, and then stitched. Finally he was appliqued onto the base cloth and stitched again in various places to secure and or to add more stitching. Hence I am going to go in from the front with a very sharp blade and try and slice thru the stitching enough to loosen and remove without hopefully going the whole way thru.
Thursday, December 12, 2013
However, the task will be completed no matter what, however, 2014 will not consist of a challenge, instead I will be concentrating on completing those PHD's (for those who do not know - projects half done ) which will include those that were not even started but placed in a pile in a corner on my work table .
I have changed the look of my blog and will change the heading when 'Blogger' is working okay again and will let me! (having issues at the moment - not even sure this will happen).
2014 will give you a better insite into what I do and what stops me from completing my various projects.
My first project will be to revisit the piece I started in the workshop with Kathryn Harmer-Fox, earlier this year, a very talented artist/fibre artist. It does not help if you attend a workshop with mixed/confused expectations. One of Kathryn's techniques is embedding small scraps of fabric into the work to create a piece.
The end result is I have come away with a greater understanding of her work and a piece of work that I am not too happy with.
This is the piece ..........
Combining my technique has meant that my thread painted frog is not blending or sitting in amongst the 'grasses' correctly. The background is duck canvas (I think) and the 'grass' is a sheet of silk waste that I have stretched and opened out and then stitched in place. The frog was photo transferred onto cotton and then appliqued onto the canvas, thread painted, cut out and then stitched onto the background.
My first step is to 'remove' the frog which could take a while but can happen.
Step two will be to introduce some 2D leaves in some way and then thirdly to introduce the thread painted frogs, probably scaled down, but stitched so that they are embedded in the piece.
I have a number of pics of my tree frog to play around with .......
I do like my threes so I will probably use the original and the two on the right as I can see them up against or holding onto something.
Let's get started.