CHALLENGE 2013: This was a non happening but will be part of my next years work as I work thru the year

CHALLENGE 2012 : Each month I will choose a picture from last years challenge and create a fibre art interpretation of it or piece of it using at least one new technique each time.

CHALLENGE: 2011: 365 days in picture.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

JANUARY 2012

I have chosen 2 pics ... both very different and one more of a challenge than the other.


This was taken at Mpila, Umfolozi Game Reserve and I was drawn to it first. Something about it talks to me.


I find myself drawn to flowers so I suppose this was an expected second choice.  I have added 2 cropped pics as I prefer the inner detail and contrast of the lily. I am drawn to the middle pic.


Mmmmmm ......... now the choice.  Firstly, I need to think about size for the challenge, i.e. do I keep them all the same or let the pieces decide with a maximum in place.  I seem to have talked myself into an answer....... The piece will decide but no piece will be larger than 50cm square.

6 comments:

  1. Mmh, great photos. The vulture is very 'attractive' as a challenge but the lily wins hands down for me. The pose in the vulture picture together with the line of the branches is great. I am interested to see how you tackle the lily - great light source and shadow to deal with - and those lines in the petals - twin needle?

    Good luck - have fun!

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you really have set yourself a challenge! Looks like you are off to a great start. But unless you have a plan to place them together at the end, I'm not sure about limiting your size. What you want to do should dictate that. I say all this because I am having trouble working in a larger format - the 12"square limitation is making things easy for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic Challenge, Phil! Looking forward to seeing the quilts ! I know they will be beautiful. I really admire your work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the new look!It's so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In answer to Dianne .... my 12bythedoz work is a 'series within a series' hence my choice to work freely with this challenge and the possible variations in size.

    Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photos were wonderful. I look forward to seeing your new challenge.

    ReplyDelete